"Mommy I just had a dream. I dreamed I was in a green field and there were so many butterflies and they were so pretty. They were blue and purple and pink and green. I really liked them." She pauses to take a deep sigh. I am now out of bed and take her hand to lead her to the bathroom. To my surprise she begins crying.
"The butterflies were all over me. They were licking me and covering my eyes." Jessica is really sobbing now. "And I couldn't see and they were stuck in my hair. I couldn't run away they were getting on me everywhere."
Realizing this isn't a potty emergency I pick her up and carry her back into her room. She tells me she needs some snuggles and so I oblige and lay down with her. I hold her close and tell her everything is okay, that butterflies are nice and won't hurt her. I smooth her hair and whisper to her until she falls asleep.
The next morning I go in to help get her dressed and the moment I walk in her room I realize I'm walking right into her dream...
I was proud of the hard work I did painting and decorating her room. I never imagined it would inspire nightmares.

No comments:
Post a Comment