Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Summer Weeks 5 & 6

Week #5 of summer is the one that I savored, and must admit indulged myself some with much need relaxation (this was the only week I knew I could count on for any Mommy down time). Sarah, Anna & Jessica capitalized on my lazy ways because I felt bad that "Fun Friday" was kind-a lame as I had several errands I'd put off all week. Each stop meant some attention for them. We spent time reading and playing while at the library and walked out with several books for them but not the one I wanted for me. We bought a movie to watch while at Target (love the $3 movies there). Then Sarah & Jessica enjoyed Churros and Anna a Slushie when we stopped at Sam's Club (we also hung out with Daddy on his lunch break). Finally, we came home for the real fun; which I must admit was just making beaded jewelry with sparkly pipe cleaners while watching their new movie. The real shocker for me was that instead of complaining that it was a bit boring or silly all three of them were overjoyed with everything we did. I received heartfelt thanks several times throughout the day. It was nice that on a week I was feeling bad for sleeping in and playing on the computer they were still very appreciative and felt rewarded for keeping the rules.

Week #6
This was the week of July 4th. I don't have any pictures to document it, but we spent the night in Surprise playing games with my family to celebrate Bernadette's birthday and of course the Independence of our nation. It is really neat because the Surprise fireworks show is literally 1/4 a mile from the end of the Redmonds' street. We get front row seats from their front yard. We enjoyed a birthday breakfast with Auntie Bernadette before coming home for 2 days in a row with Daddy off work.
This was also the week Sarah started diving lessons at the Paradise Valley Pool. Her instructor was not good, but Sarah being very athletic took to diving really well. Despite her poor instruction she was doing great flips and tricky dives by the end of just 6 lessons. Sarah surprised us by taking to the 9 meter board without much hesitation. Her back dives are more graceful then her front ones, but they are all great.
Anna spent a couple of Sarah's lessons talking really big about how she could go off the high dive too. We decided to give Anna her chance during free swim one evening. She looked so tiny and frail climbing the ladder that the life guard actually slipped off his flip flops and grabbed his rescue float. Anna wouldn't have noticed as she showed us her determination by marching right to the end and jumping off like it wasn't a bit daunting. She couldn't have been called elegant, but it was a success!
Not to be forgotten Fun Friday this week was making glitter pens. We had one extra so we invited Dylan to join us.

To me the best part of this Friday was watching Jessica and Dylan in the pool. Jessica tends to follow Dylan's lead more than her sisters. I think this is largely due to the mere 7 months that separates them. So, when Dylan was swimming and jumping around actively something clicked for Jessica and she has become a fish! You have the understand that at the beginning of the summer Jessica clung to my neck and screamed like crazy just because she was in the water. Jarom and I both knew she could swim fine but she didn't have the confidence in herself. I now get to watch her play and keep up with her sisters instead of standing on the stairs telling everyone to stay away from her.
On Saturday the girls and I went to the new Jumbo! indoor play place. Dylan was celebrating her 5th birthday so we had a mini party with her there. The girls all had a wonderful time playing laser tag, mini golf, mini bowling, arcade games, riding on the rides and playing in the soft play area. I get overwhelmed with the crowds and turning in tickets for prizes, but overall it was really neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment